Our fifth “call and response” exhibition in partnership with the Fitchburg Art Museum takes a classic compositional device, the grid, as its theme. On view now at ArtsWorcester and on our Flickr page are ten works from FAM’s permanent collection to start you thinking about your submission. All ArtsWorcester members may have one work of art included in this exhibit.
The idea of a grid brings to mind city streets, autonomous homes, lattice ironwork, text on a page, and much more. As a technical tool, it allows an artist to enlarge an image or to produce the depths of perspective. In composition, artists use grids to guide the viewer’s eye along horizontal or vertical planes, or to emphasize elements at right angles to each other. In Western art, we think of the abstractions of Piet Mondrian, Annie Albers, and Agnes Martin. But the loan from FAM also includes an antique map, a Kente cloth from Ghana, and a page from the Quran. Bring us your interpretation of the grid.
Curatorial staff from FAM will select ten works from this exhibition to go on view there during the summer of 2017. Forty ArtsWorcester artists have now earned a museum credential through this partnership.
For a quick drop-off, please register your artwork online by November 10.
- Drop-off: Thursday, November 10th, Friday, November 11, and Saturday, November 12, from 12:00 to 4:00 PM
- Opening reception: Friday, November 18, 6:00 to 8:00 PM
- Pick up of unsold works: 12:00 to 4:00 PM on Saturday, December 17, Tuesday, December 20, Wednesday, December 21, or by appointment.
Our gratitude to Mary Tinti and Nick Capasso of the Fitchburg Art Museum for making this collaboration possible.
Image (Above): Horse Running, late 1800s, gelatin silver print, by Eadweard Muybridge. Collection of Louis Herlands, FAM 2003.14. All artworks are courtesy of the Fitchburg Art Museum; our photographs of their loan are courtesy of David Habercom.
Material Needs Grants, funded by an anonymous donor, support the expenses of supplies and materials for the creation of new art in Worcester County. With this gift, we are able to distribute grants to artists between $500 and $1,500. We plan on exhibiting the work produced in the following exhibition season.
Applications have now closed for this season.
Image: 2014 Material Needs Grant winner Stephanie Chubbuck, Seven Small Pears, blown and cold-worked glass, forged copper
Be bold and submit your artwork to this year’s College Show at ArtsWorcester, your downtown art gallery! All students from Worcester-area colleges, at all levels of expertise, are eligible. Submission is free. Show your favorite project from last year, or the piece you made in the course that you liked most.
We make it easy for you to learn how to submit art to an exhibition and have it displayed in a professional gallery. Get exhibition experience before your senior show, or start building your resume now. Your work will be seen by over five hundred people, many of whom buy art.
Cash prizes will be awarded for First, Second, Third Prizes, and Honorable Mentions. The deadline is Wednesday, November 30, 2016.
• You must be enrolled, in any major or degree program, in a Worcester-area college or university. Seniors graduating early and the class of 2015 are eligible if artists are able to deliver and collect accepted works.
• You may submit up to three works in any artistic media, including fine craft, digital, and video.
• Submit your art online to ArtsWorcester’s Submittable account. All standard image, video, and document file formats are accepted. Here you’ll also find our size and weight limits, and some help with framing.
• All decisions by the juror are final. This year’s juror is Eva Fierst, of the University of Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art.
• Artists will be contacted by email regarding the outcome of the selection.
We’ll let you know if your artwork has been accepted by the juror by January 13, 2017. The exhibit opens on Friday, February 3, 6:00 to 8:00 PM, and runs for one month.
Represent your college with your best work!
Any questions? Please contact us at 508.755.5142 or email@example.com.