In Transition: A Members’ Exhibition in collaboration with the Fitchburg Art Museum
Call for Art
Registration deadline: Thursday, March 5, 2020
Exhibition dates: March 20 – April 18, 2020
In Transition is the eighth “Call and Response” collaboration between ArtsWorcester and the Fitchburg Art Museum, an important center for contemporary New England art. This exhibition will be the first “Call and Response” to take place at ArtsWorcester’s new location at 44 Portland Street. To mark this exciting change and inspired by a selection of artworks from FAM’s permanent collection, we invite artists to consider ways in which art can explore the concept of transition.
Artworks might engage transition through the perspective of a person, place, or thing experiencing a significant period of change and transformation. Artworks could examine stages of physical and mental transformation, regarding changes in age, gender, or status. They could also explore architecture, geography, culture, or other subject matter in a state of transition.
Formally, transitions in artworks can be depicted in shifts in tonality, scale, depth, and form (i.e., from light to dark, small to large, foreground to background, or shifts in color and shape). These formal considerations of transition may illustrate a process of evolution, and incorporate artworks in which we see the medium itself changing from one thing or state to another (for example, ceramics in which the marks of firing are visible).
The Fitchburg Art Museum’s curatorial staff will select ten works from In Transition to be exhibited at FAM with the selected works from the Museum’s collection.
All artist members are eligible to register one artwork for this exhibition.
We thank our friends and partners at the Fitchburg Art Museum for sharing their collection so generously with our artists.
*Please read all submission guidelines thoroughly. Due to the number of works we receive for this exhibition, any work that does not meet submission requirements will not be accepted.
- Current ArtsWorcester membership is required to submit.
- Each artist may submit one work of art for consideration.
- All work must be original, created within the last ten years, and not previously exhibited at ArtsWorcester.
- Two-dimensional artworks must not exceed 48” in any direction, including frame.
- Three-dimensional artworks are limited to 90” in height, and no single element can exceed 50 pounds.
- Artworks suspended from the ceiling are limited to 50 pounds.
- Works must be exhibition ready with framing and wire as appropriate. Alternative hanging methods (suspended from the ceiling, installed with magnets, etc.) must be tested prior to submission to ensure successful installation, and required hardware must be provided.
- Artists receive sixty percent of each sale made through our galleries.
Please contact the gallery with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 755-5142.
After submission you will be directed to a confirmation page and receive a confirmation email from ArtsWorcester. If you do not receive this email, please check your spam folder first before contacting the gallery to ensure receipt of your submission.
Above images: Above images: Bart Parker, Untitled, 1968, gelatin silver print, 17″ x 14″ (unframed), Jude Peterson Collection; Angela Strassheim, Untitled (Waiting Room), 2006, chromogenic print, ed. 3 of 8, 29 1/4″ x 37″, gift of Dr. Anthony Terrana